BOOKS AND BANGALORE

Monday, September 7, 2015

Cellfie !


"Can you tell me what is that you find in this picture?"

I asked a dear friend of mine today who unfortunately but willingly did not get into medicine years ago.

"At two places there are smaller particles than the rest, little above the centre..." he replied.

"Not bad! Gonococcus inside pus cells, that's from urethral discharge" I said in excitement.

"Ugh! Careful!" he said.

"They are heat fixed and dead!Don't worry" I said and reassured him.

"See I would have made a good doctor" he opined with pride.

Of course he would have, life is all about the choices we make isn't it. There are moments when I screen these slides for minutes together and miss some fields which would have led me to some important diagnosis. And then there are moments such as this when I know what I find under the microscope is going to change someone's life. There is no satisfaction greater than that, therefore I go from one field to the other, to another and finally end up with a stiff neck! 

It is an interesting world out there, in and around the cells.How our body interacts with the pathogens is a beautiful science. What you see in the picture are intracellular organisms, imagine our body mounting an immune response and trying to engulf these little bugs, things inside are more dynamic than we know.

-R.



No comments: