BOOKS AND BANGALORE

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Awake



Firstly wishes to you all my friends, a very happy and prosperous new year. I belong to the category of people who consider December 31st or January 1st as just another good day, I also admit that I retrospect a lot at the year end. On that note, one of the best decisions of mine in 2014 was to join a post graduate diploma course in medical law and ethics in National Law School, here in Bangalore. Although most of the learning is through distance education, the contact classes held once a month is something I look forward to. A few days ago, after one such class on a Sunday I couldn’t help but notice one of my favourite poems in the corridor. I stood in front of the frame and read the poem twice, despite knowing it by heart. The scenes that came to my mind are unexplainable. Today when we have another three hundred and sixty five days in hand let us make use of the new opportunities that WILL come our way. Hopefully we become better and make this world a beautiful place to live in.



“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high 
Where knowledge is free 
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls 
Where words come out from the depth of truth 
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection 
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way 
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit 
Where the mind is led forward by thee 
Into ever-widening thought and action 
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake”

-Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali-

-R.

No comments: