BOOKS AND BANGALORE

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Love Black-No Lack

“Hmmm…do you have it in black?”

All you ‘black-is-so-me’ people like me out there remember this question you ask every time in a reflex? I have lost count of the number of mumbles and stares I get when I go “Give me anything, but make sure it’s in black!” I do not intend this to be just another post on dresses and suits, shoes and belts, kajals and eyeliners, wallets and purses, cars and bikes, canines and felines. I am of the opinion that for anyone who lives with this colour it is an obvious choice for all his wants and needs, and I bet there WILL be more than five! Since the time Blogadda came up with this question I have been a little uneasy, frankly for a week I had not gone beyond thinking “Only five? Why Blogadda? Why?” :-) 


And then I get this little black bookmark inside a book from them which I had the chance to review! :-)


Desiring’ something in black? Well it had to be genuinely intense. I love and prefer this colour over the others not because it makes me feel classy, good, beautiful, smart or unconventional. I have seen, heard, read and learnt about the colour from people and characters who have carried it more than in their attire or accessories in their heart and soul. I relate to this colour that way, something more than ‘Black- is-my favorite’. You know somehow one cannot stop noticing certain things, how a colour which half the world considers a bad omen or sign adds to the magic something or someone can bring, that’s my only reason for wanting these awe inspiring stuffs in BLACK:

·         For BLACK brings me SMILE when it is much needed!


“I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane and a derby hat. Everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small and the shoes large”

-Charlie Chaplin-

The happiness Chaplin has brought to this world cannot be put in words. Above is just one of my favorite scenes from his movie ‘A Dog’s Life’. Such was the man and such was the colour he chose. No bows, no ties. No trim, no grim. A jolly good fellow in the truest sense. If anyone can get me CHAPLIN’S HAT, I promise to watch his movies full day with you ;-)


·         For BLACK brings back my CHILDHOOD when I think I have grown up!


“All ducks are black Amma?” I used to ask my mother and she used to convince me by answering “No the crazy ones are Raksha!” I cannot imagine those times of watching ‘The Looney Tunes’ on Cartoon Network without this black bird. What wit, what wisdom and what timing! If anyone can get me all the DAFFY DUCK LOONEY TUNES VIDEOS compiled together I promise to watch them too ;-)

One of the daffiest moment of this bird here:


“Daffy Duck he had a farm, E... I... E... I... O.
And on this farm he had an *igloo*
Ee... ayyy... ee... ayyy... dohhh? “



·         For BLACK brings bitter for good!


“Tea is like a hug in a cup”

-Patrick Jane-

Whoever called this beverage ‘liquid wisdom’ must have been wise. I have never seen anything loose itself and spread all its colour and flavor in a cup of hot water so instantly. I have survived many days and nights gulping BLACK TEA, more than water in fact, those examinations I tell you in medical school in the last ten years of my life! This desire isn't any addiction, it has done more good than harm. Anyone willing to make a cup for me, I assure you a great deal of conversation while we have it and of course lots of love.  By the way I like it earl grey without sugar ;-)

·         For BLACK brings me FANTASY when I am done with reality!



“We've all got both light and dark inside us.What matters is the part we choose to act on.
That's who we really are.”
- Sirius Black  -

Siriusly!!! For any HP fan this spelling may seem more than right. You know characters such as these in stories teach a reader so much about loyalty and life. There were moments when I had thought “Who is this freaky man?” about Sirius Black while I read the earlier pages of the bookHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’. By the end of the HP series I was of the opinion that after James and Lily, his parents, Sirius Black was the next best thing that has happened to Harry. Who can forget the scene when he punches Malfoy and says “Get away from my Godson!such selfless care and love. True to his name, ‘Sirius’- the brightest is always in the darkest. If anyone can get me his FLYING MOTORCYCLE which Hagrid used to drop little Harry at the Dudley's, we could go for a ride around the skies after our black tea ;-)

·         For BLACK brings satiety to my heart  more than my sweet tooth!


"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream"

-Riley Weber-


Who wouldn’t say yes for an ice cream? The joy that it brings especially during the winters, nothing like it. ‘Kuro-Goma’ or BLACK SESAME ICE CREAM so called in Japan looks a little different. The flavour and obviously the colour interests me, we could have this for the dessert on our way back. What say? Anyone game? For black in simple pleasures of life? ;-)



PS: This post is a part of #WhatTheBlack activity at BlogAdda.com


4 comments:

Soumyaa Verma said...

This was a very thoughtful list of 5. I LOVE the quotes you've added. They make me connect to your list

Raksha Bhat said...

@Sumyaa Verma: Glad that you did, thank you for reading :-)

Deboshree said...

Beautifully written. There is indeed magic about black. :)
All the best for the contest!

Raksha Bhat said...

@Debo: Indeed! Thank you for the wishes :-)